We have so many choices for chain lubes for our bicycles that it’s hard to choose one.
Here’s how Rock “N” Roll describes the unique process of why their lube works so well:
The formulation goes deep down into the chain and traps any dirt. Then, with the energy of the chain freewheeling backwards, the dirt and grit floats to the surface so you can wipe it all off, leaving a new and clean application of lube inside the chain, where it’s needed. The lube down inside the chain creates a protective membrane to seal out dirt and moisture from the moving parts of the chain. As well as holding in place the best lube on the planet, for longer chain life, super smooth shifting and pedaling.
Using Rock “N” Roll Gold Can Save Watts!
The Pumpkinvine blog said Gold was rated the best friction-reducing lube.
Our shop mainly uses Rock-n-Roll lubrication for our grease needs, but I’d never tried their chain lube. But now that I’ve tried the Rock-n-Roll Gold Lube, I’m never, ever going back. Seriously. This stuff is ridiculous.
Here are some other comments about Gold:
Lube works twice as long as any other I have tried (except Rock N Roll Extreme). Does not collect dirt, chain stays cleaner than with any other lube I have tried. From SingleTracks
And this from a blog post written by Tim Wiggins:
I tested the Extreme Lube on my commuter; a bike that takes some serious abuse from wet weather and grit, day after day. Most lubes will usually last three days at most on this bike at this time of year, before the chain starts to look and sound a bit dry. The Extreme Lube managed four, and could probably have done a few more days on top of that, if the bike hadn’t needed cleaning. That’s good going by my standards.The other impressive thing was how clean the chain stayed; even with the heavy amounts of road debris, there was very little sticking to the outside of the rollers or links, suggesting the lube shreds dirt well and doesn’t create a sticky solution like some.Overall, a very good chain lube that is able to deal with the onslaught of winter riding.
Tips for Applying Rock “N” Roll Gold
Here are some tips for applying Rock “N” Roll from the company.
- Put the chain on the big ring in the front, and the small cog on the back.
- Apply the lube on the chain, over the top of the cog. Let a nice flow of lube go onto the chain (don’t be cheap). Remember you’re going to clean and lube the chain in
- Freewheel the chain backwards, and wipe off all of the dirt and grit that comes up to the surface of the chain. Keep in mind, you can’t wipe off the chain too much, so make that chain shine!
- Shift the chain off the big ring, so you can wipe off the chain ring, to clean up the little bit of residue left behind.
- For best results, allow your chain to sit a few hours or lube the night before. However, if right after lubing, you have to ride, you have to ride, so go for it. Giving the lube a chance to set gives the lube a bit more life by allowing the protective membrane to fully set-up. Remember, to wipe off your chain after riding regardless if you’re going to re-lube or not. This keeps the chain clean and looking great!